April 30, 2016

My Favorite Fantasy Quotes - Part 1

Words have a certain power to them. A power to create life, to take it, to teach the laws of reason and madness alike. In fantasy, we try to create other worlds to reflect the best and worst of our lot in life. We create stories that are powerful and characters we care about. Many times you can find words of wisdom in fantasy as well as words that give you goosebumps. Over the course of a few separate posts I would like to share with you the best quotes I've read so far in fantasy. I hope you enjoy them and please feel free to share your thoughts and some of your own favorites in the comments below. Enjoy!

“Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, captured in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man’s memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail through his skull.” 
― Mark Lawrence
King of Thorns


“Fearlessness is a fool's boast, to my mind. The only men with no fear in them are dead, or the soon to be dead, maybe. Fear teaches you caution, and respect for your enemy, and to avoid sharp edges used in anger. All good things in their place, believe me. Fear can bring you out alive, and that's the very best anyone can hope for from any fight. Every man who's worth a damn feels fear. It's the use you make of it that counts.” 
― Joe AbercrombieBefore They Are Hanged




“Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.” 
― Andrzej SapkowskiThe Last Wish




“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” --George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones



“A sane man is simply a man afraid to unleash his inner demons.” 
― Michael R. FletcherBeyond Redemption




“Where resides the comforting knowledge of history's vast, cyclical sweep, the ebb and flow of wars and peace? Peace is the time of waiting for war. A time of preparation, or a time of willful ignorance, blind, blinkered and prattling behind secure walls.” 
― Steven EriksonMemories of Ice



“Time turns our lies into truth” -Gene Wolfe, The Shadow of the Torturer



“The lesson of history is that no one learns.” 
― Steven EriksonDeadhouse Gates


2 comments:

  1. I must say I love that Sapkowski quote.

    The Fletcher quote comes a close second.

    Lots of great new authors to explore, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your input. :) Both are wonderful authors and I would highly recommend Sapkowski's Witcher series to any kind of fantasy fan. Fletcher's work is much more for the Grimdark fan, if you're into darker fantasy. Worth checking out though!

      Delete